● Are you ready to join our motivated group? The University of the Third Age (U3A) caters to people of a so-called “mature age”, from about 50 to 90, who are still eager for more knowledge and a zest for listening to cultural and motivational talks. U3A Meet on the second Thursday of each month at 9.30am. The cost is R10 per visitor and R5 for members. This is for the monthly general meeting, after which there is a speaker, followed by tea/coffee and biscuits. On the third Thursday of each month, there is a current affairs meeting at 10am, with a speaker. Both meetings are held at the St Andrews Croquet Club hall in Bunkers Hill. For more information, call (043)738-5090.
● Masithethe Counselling Services (formerly LifeLine) will be hosting a rape and domestic violence support group on the first Thursday of the on the month at 11am. It takes place at the centre at 3 St James Road, Southernwood. For more information, call (043)722-2000 or 084-091-5410.
●Put on your dancing shoes to waltz, two-step and line dance tonight away with live music by Mark at the East London Bowling Club from 8pm. Entry is R25 per person. Couples welcome. Cash bar open. For more information, call 073-243-2318.
●The East London slot car club hosts racing every Thursday from 7pm. Come and see the little miniature slot cars on a 42m track. For more information, contact Hennie on 082-448-3221.
●The Nahoon Estuary Nature Reserve is a must for those who love beautiful places, river views, a mangrove swamp and forest walks. Bird enthusiasts will enjoy sitting quietly in the two bird hides watching blue duikers and birds. New members of Nahooners, which supports the reserve, are welcome to join and are given a gate key that allows them to visit 24/7. The reserve is off Beaconhurst Drive. Turn at the Dassie Trail sign. For enquiries, contact Celia on (043)735-1833.
●If you are interested in becoming a volunteer at the Gonubie Community Policing Forum, please contact Dewald Knoetze on 082-822-1035 or Fred Minty on 072-515-8646.
●Alcoholics Anonymous Gonubie meet at the Baptist Church in Watsonia Crescent at 7.30pm. Contact Jan on 082-850-6918 or Nick on 072-831-7663.
● Come and enjoy a “Lekker Dance” with Mark and Barry at the Berea Gardens dining hall from 7pm to 11pm. Bring own basket and drinks. Tickets are R20 per person and available at the door. So come along and dance to country, lang-arm, boere and disco.
●Dinner dance tonight at Comrades Club with live music by Quentin from 8.15pm. Kitchen and bar open from 6pm at bargain prices. Entry R20. Call 083-255-3468 before 2pm for table bookings.
●The EL Science Club, which caters for pupils from grades 5 to 12, meets at 39 Smartt Road, Nahoon from 9am to 11am. Eloise Mogg will introduce members to the fascinating science of clay. For more information, contact Noreen on 083-277-8269.
●There will be a Spring Fling fundraiser in aid of Rachel’s Ballet Magnificat Dream today at 6.30pm at St Crucis Lutheran Church hall in Edge Road, Beacon Bay. Curry and rice will be on sale. Join us for a fun family evening of excellent food, good music, dancing and awesome spot prizes. Bring your own refreshments. Tickets are R30. For more information and tickets, contact Gareth on 082-568-2767.
●The Boeremusiekgilde are having a dance at the East London Bowling Club at 7 for 7.30pm. Tickets are R20 for members and R30 for non-members. For more information, contact 083-461-3138.
●The Centenary Tennis Club hosts social tennis every Saturday from 1.30pm. All welcome, so all ages come and join the fun. For more information, contact Maurice 082-676-9708 or Deon 082-443-8995.
●The Gonubie Saturday flea market takes place every Saturday in front of the municipality from 8am to 1pm (weather permitting). All stalls and car boot sales welcome. For more information, contact Glenda on WhatsApp or call 082-714-3390.
●The Lavender Blue Pineapple Walk takes place every Saturday at 6.30am (weather permitting). Meet Yvonne in the Lavender Blue parking lot every Saturday at 6am for a lovely walk. You will be taken on a 10km circular walk past farms and along farm roads. Take some money for a hearty breakfast afterwards.
●Tea in the Trees have a market on the first and last Sunday of the month from 9am to 2pm. All arts, crafts and home produce welcome. Only R50 to have a stall. For more informatiion, contact Kate 072-611-2367, www.teainthetrees.com or on the Facebook page, teainthetrees.
●The Esplanade Flea Market (in front of Osners Hotel) now on every weekend weather permitting from 8am to 2pm. All new stalls welcome.
●Exercise classes for senior citizens every Monday and Thursday from 8.30 to 9.30am at St John’s Ambulance, St George’s Road. For more information, call Nookie (043)726-1100.
●The East London Group of Alcoholics Anonymous, founding group, meets at The Catholic Church Hall in Caxton Street, Quigney at 7.30pm every Monday. Contact Morris 073-870-4486 or Pieter 082-094-0959 or (043)722-4033.
●Alcoholics Anonymous Kayser’s Beach Group meets at the Chapel Hall at 7.30pm. Contact 082-714-9400.
●If you are living with someone who is drinking, and this is affecting you, there is help available for you at the Al Anon Family Group Meeting held at Cambridge Methodist Church Hebbes Street every Tuesday at 7.30 pm. Contact Elsie (043)721-0483 or 078-628-6311.
●Alcoholics Anonymous Cambridge Group meets at the Methodist Church, Hebbes Street, Cambridge, at 7.30pm. Contact Jumbo on (043)741-3685.
● The pipe band meet at 6.30 at Hudson Park High School music block. Tuition given. For bagpipes, call Robert on 082-897-8571 and drumming, Stephen on 082-560-0247.
● The EL Bridge Club welcomes all who wish to play duplicate bridge. Provision has been made for new players to begin at a “starter table” in order to be guided in the use of bidding boxes. Come along with a partner on any Tuesday and/or Saturday at 1.15pm to the Berea Gardens Dining Hall. For more information, contact Jean (043)735-4893, Karen 082-856-0400 or Kathie 083-651-0418.
●Narcotics Anonymous meet every Wednesday and Friday from 7pm to 8pm at St Nicholas Church, Pell Street, Beacon Bay. For more information, call 082-796-3699.
● Scottish dancing classes every Tuesday from 4pm to 5.30pm at Ham’s Club in Selborne. Instruction given to beginners. All very welcome. For more Information, contact Nookie (043)726-1100.
● The Beacon Bay Bridge Club is looking for players interested in playing social bridge every Tuesday and Friday between 1.30pm and 4.30pm. They meet at the Eden Worship Centre at 10 Coad Road, Beacon Bay. For more information, contact Olga on 083-650-6653 or (043)735-1736 or Heather on (043)748-1465.
● There are times you just need someone to talk to, to laugh and meet new people. Masithethe Counselling Services are hosting a Live, Love, Laugh Support Group to create a space where people can meet, be themselves and talk about issues that are affecting them, spread awareness, educate and encourage each other. Masithethe (formerly LifeLine) will provide the space and facilitate the process. This support group is open to all. To be held every third Wednesday of the month at 6pm at the Masithethe Centre at 3 St James Road, Southernwood. For more information, call (043)722-2000 or WhatsApp: 084-091-5410 and Facebook.
● The University of the Third Age (U3A) meet at 9.30am at the St Andrews Croquet Club hall. The guest speaker will be fine art photographer and founder of Buckaroo project Marlene Neumann. Bring dog or cat food along for the Buckaroo initiative. For more information, contact Sue on (043)735-2780.
● The EL Science Club meets at the East London Museum from 9am to 11am. Dr Mary Cole will give a practical talk about field research using the scientific method. The club caters for pupils in grades 5 to 12. For more information contact Noreen on 083-277-8269.