EC bosses sent home by top six

0
71

National ANC bosses sent Eastern Cape officials packing yesterday after they arrived at the party’s Luthuli House headquarters uninvited, saying yesterday’s meeting was for national executive deployees to detail what happened at last week’s chaotic elective conference.

HQ VISIT: ANC provincial chairman Oscar Mabuyane with Andile Lungisa and Mlibo Qoboshiyane at Luthuli House, where the President Jacob Zuma-led top six met to discuss the disputed Eastern Cape provincial conference yesterday Picture: SUPPLIED

The national officials told provincial chairman Oscar Mabuyane and his executive that they would be invited to a separate meeting “in due course” for their side of the story on what led to the violence at last weekend’s elective conference at the East London ICC.

The newly elected executive went to Luthuli House after “receiving an invite” from secretary-general Gwede Mantashe.

But provincial secretary Lulama Ngcukaitobi confirmed to the Daily Dispatch yesterday that their meeting with ANC officials was shelved “because the officials wanted to get the side of the story from the NEC deployees who facilitated the conference – not us”.

“Since we were there already, we decided to have our separate meeting as Eastern Cape officials.”

He confirmed tomorrow’s provincial executive committee (PEC) meeting had been shelved for Sunday in Mthatha – if the national executive endorsed the outcome of the conference.

While Lindiwe Zulu’s official report on events leading to Mabuyane’s election as ANC provincial chairman declared the conference as legitimate, Beauty Dlulane, also an NEC deployee, painted a picture of a chaotic conference which should have been adjourned to protect lives.

But insiders said it was shocking to hear Dlulane detailing events although she was absent for two days because she was not feeling well.

“She goes there and contradicts a version of events which was presented by NEC deployees who remained at the conference until the end. You can see there is a clear plan to nullify the conference outcomes,” said a leader who attended the meeting.

This comes after the pro-Phumulo Masualle grouping – which led the ousted PEC – compiled a 29-page report to Luthuli House charging foul play in the conference.

The group argued the conference proceeded illegally after violent scenes left more than 20 delegates injured.

The deployees’ submission, seen by the Daily Dispatch, singled out former PEC member Andile Lungisa and Amathole regional secretary Teris Ntutu as the main players in the bid to collapse the conference.

Their report argued that the decision to adopt delegate credentials had been agreed by the steering committee, which included Masualle and regional secretaries, including Ntutu.

However, when it was moved that the credentials be adopted, a “small group led and agitated by comrades Lungisa and Ntutu”, refused.

The NEC deployees lamented that “hatred among comrades” seemed to be compromising the ANC’s ability to unite communities.

The Masualle grouping laid blame at the door of NEC deployees, particularly Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula and Zizi Kodwa.

Meanwhile, Masualle is said to have had a breakfast meeting with ANC Women’s League president Bathabile Dlamini – a move that could be seen as part of the leaguers trying to drum up more support for Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma going into the December elective conference where Zuma’s successor will be elected. — zineg@dispatch.co.za/ zingisam@dispatch.co.za

LEAVE A REPLY