KWT GP’s breathing ‘getting better’ in isolation ward, after he was moved out of ICU
King William’s Town is the latest town to be hit by the novel coronavirus, with popular general practitioner Dr Sizwe Mxenge recently testing positive.
The 47-year-old doctor had been in ICU at an East London private hospital, but was able to speak to the GO! & Express from an isolation ward.
“I’m gradually improving and my breathing is better, although I have no appetite. “I didn’t display the classic symptoms of the disease,” said Mxenge.
He was admitted to hospital on April 12, and said his wife and children had been tested. His staff would also be tested.
Initially, Mxenge said he had felt unwell and had difficulty breathing. The DispatchLIVE had reported recently that Mxenge self-isolated before being admitted to hospital.
“The difficult part is protection, especially among patients who aren’t wearing any protective gear such as a mask,” he said.
“It should be made mandatory that people wear masks.
“This is a difficult disease to detect and one needs to look at the patient thoroughly.”
News of Mxenge’s infection surfaced through a message doing the rounds on social media, written by National Healthcare Practitioners Association national treasurer Dr Nombasa Mayeko, who is also a colleague of Mxenge.
“He [Mxenge] was communicating with us as colleagues and was concerned about the wellness of everyone. “I sent the notice last night so that we may take the necessary precautions as this disease can attack anyone,” Mayeko said. Mxenge has been out of ICU since last Saturday.
** Since going to print, Mxenge is recovering at home in self isolation. Four of his eight staff members have tested positive for COVID-19 and are asymptomatic and in self isolation. Patients seen between March 27 and April 9 have been contacted for testing.