Community leaders, law enforcement officials and members of the public continue to express their shock and concern after the death of 11 people in the Cape Flats over the weekend.
The police’s Noloyiso Rwexana said 11 people were gunned down in Philippi East.
Community leaders have called for the intervention of the South African National Defence Force, which they believe will help curb the crime in the province. News24 reported that police minister Bheki Cele on Monday insisted that police are not losing the fight against crime: “No, we are not losing the war against crime but the situation is bad.”
Here’s what you need to know:
An IOL report stated that community safety MMC Albert Fritz on Monday condemned the escalating crime rate and deaths. He said across the province a total of 55 people were killed between Friday midnight and Monday. He said some had been stabbed and others died through gun violence. Fritz said he had engaged with the SANDF, as he believes they can help curb the lawlessness in the province.
Read more of the story on TimesLIVE
BY: CEBELIHLE BHENGU
SOURCE: TMG DIGITAL