BCM scraps summer events, not initiation

In response to the large increase in Covid-19 infections, the BCM Command Council (BCMCC) said it will be closing public facilities and discouraging public events.

CRACKING DOWN: BCM mayor Xola Pakati
Picture: MADELEINE CHAPUT

In a statement, BCMCC said they had identified a number of hotspots across the municipality, most noticeably Southernwood, Quigney and the King William’s Town CBD.

“What has been observed are rising infections that are resulting from parties, particularly student parties and most of these areas have a large student and youth population staying in them or frequenting places therein,” they said.

The Command Council said they were also urging liquor traders to adhere to the necessary health and safety regulations and would be working with the SAPS to increase enforcement.

As reported by the Daily Dispatch (‘Summer fests scrapped as BCM cracks down’, December 4), BCM has cancelled major events such as the Buyel’ekhaya and MetroFM Heatwave music festivals.

However, the summer initiation season has been given the go-ahead following numerous consultations with traditional leaders.

“Traditional leaders have submitted a risk-adjusted plan approved by the health department and Cogta. There will be screening of initiates, and the provision of PPE (personal protective equipment) and water provision,” president Cyril Ramaphosa said last week.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here