Cop on shooting rap cancels bail application

By Zwanga Mukhuthu

An East London policeman who allegedly shot multiple times at a woman believed to be his lover and her child in a fit of rage abandoned his bail application in the East London Magistrate’s Court this week.

The victims, 28-year-old Sinazo Njombolwana and her nine-year-old son Yakhanathi, are recovering from their gunshot wounds in an East London hospital.

Cop on shooting rap cancels bail application

They were shot, allegedly by Sergeant Sinethemba Dyani, 37, of the Tsholomqa police station on Sunday.

He did not give reasons for not wishing to apply for bail when he appeared before magistrate Nazeem Joemath on Wednesday. The defence, however, indicated they may apply for bail at a later stage.

His arrest shocked some of his colleagues who had served with him but are now working in the same courtroom where he appeared.

Dyani handed himself over to police on Monday and was charged with two counts of attempted murder when he appeared in court on Wednesday.

Police spokeswoman Warrant Officer Hazel Mqala, who is also Dyani’s colleague, said the accused was off-duty when he allegedly confronted Njombolwana in her Santa home.

Mqala said the woman was shot in the lower body and the boy in his left shoulder and right leg.

On being admitted to hospital the mother and son were declared in critical condition but their health had since improved, Mqala said.

The docket has been forwarded to the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid), an independent body tasked with investigating alleged crimes committed by members of the South African Police Services.

Speaking to the Daily Dispatch yesterday Ipid spokesman Moses Dlamini said: “It is alleged that [Dyani] went to the victim, Sinazo Njombolwana’s place, where he knocked at the door. Jombolwana only opened the door but not the burglar gate.

“[Dyani] allegedly demanded to get inside, when Jombolwana refused to open the door, [Dyani] drew his firearm and fired several shots,” he said.

“Jombolwana went to the room and [Dyani] went to the window. He broke it with his firearm and continued to fire shots. Jombolwana and Yakhanathi sustained gunshots wounds.”

Dlamini said Dyani had allegedly used the state’s firearm in the act.

“The firearm has already been confiscated from him. Both victims are still alive,” said Dlamini. Dyani’s case was postponed to September 6 for further investigation.

-Dispatch Live


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here