- The University of the Third Age (U3A) caters to people of a so-called “mature age”, from about 50 to 90, who have a zest for listening to cultural and motivational talks. U3A meet on the second Thursday of every month at 9.30am. The cost is R10 per visitor and R5 for members. This is for the monthly general meeting, after which there is a speaker, followed by tea/coffee and biscuits. On the third Thursday of every month, there is a current affairs meeting at 10am, with a speaker. Both meetings are held at the St Andrews Croquet Club hall in Bunkers Hill. Call (043)738-5090.
- Put on your dancing shoes to waltz, two-step and line dance tonight away with live music by Ivan’s Band at the East London Bowling Club from 8pm. Entry is R25 per person. Couples welcome. Cash bar open. For more information, call 073-243-2318.
- The Nahoon Estuary Nature Reserve is a must for those who love beautiful places and forest walks. New members of Nahooners, which supports the reserve, are welcome to join and are given a gate key that allows them to visit 24/7. The reserve is off Beaconhurst Drive. Turn at the Dassie Trail sign. For more information, contact Celia on (043)735-1833.
- If you are interested in becoming a volunteer at the Gonubie Community Policing Forum, please contact Dewald Knoetze on 082-822-1035 or Fred Minty on 072-515-8646.
- Alcoholics Anonymous Gonubie meet at the Baptist Church in Watsonia Crescent at 7.30pm. Contact Jan on 082-850-6918 or Nick on 072-831-7663.
- Dinner and dance tonight at Comrades Club with live music by Quentin from 8.15pm. Eat and drink with Peter Dickson from 6pm at bargain prices – booking essential. Entry R20. Call 083-255-3468 before 2pm for table bookings.
- Big Market at Yellowwood Forest in Morgan Bay to celebrate spring and Heritage Day. The market starts from 9am. They are expecting a wonderful variety of stalls – delicious home bakes, toys, plants, herbs, books, gifts, doggy treats, pancakes, second-hand goodies, homemade biscuits, vegetables, eggs and lots more. There is a fun treehouse and playground for the kids, while mom and dad browse through the stalls or enjoy a meal in our Treepot Tea Garden. Take the kids for an adventurous forest walk or let them pet the bunnies at the small touch farm.
- The Centenary Tennis Club hosts social tennis every Saturday from 1.30pm. All welcome. For more information, call Maurice 082-676-9708 or Deon 082-443-8995.
- The Gonubie Saturday flea market takes place every Saturday morning in front of the municipality from 8am to 1pm – weather permitting. All stalls and car boot sales welcome. For more information, contact Glenda on WhatsApp or call 082-714-3390.
- The Lavender Blue Pineapple Walk takes place every Saturday at 6.30am – weather permitting. Meet Yvonne in the Lavender Blue parking lot at 6am. You will be taken on a 10km circular walk past farms. Take some money for a hearty breakfast.
- Tea in the Trees have a market on the first and last Sunday of the month from 9am to 2pm. All arts, crafts and home produce welcome. Only R50 to have a stall. For more information, contact Kate on 072-611-2367, visit www.teainthetrees.com or the Facebook page “teainthetrees”.
- The Esplanade Flea Market (in front of Hotel Osner) now on every weekend weather permitting from 8am to 2pm. All new stalls welcome.
- There will be a farm market on the public holiday and October 7 Farm B18 Thornpark (10km on Stutterheim Road) Arts and Crafts, Beer Garden, Picnic Spots, Coffee Bar, Cakes, Farm Yard Animals for the kids. Bring the family and enjoy the day with us.
- Exercise classes for senior citizens every Monday and Thursday from 8.30 to 9.30am at St John’s Ambulance, St George’s Road. For information call Nookie (043)726-1100.
- The East London Group of Alcoholics Anonymous, founding group, meets at The Catholic Church Hall in Caxton Street, Quigney at 7.30pm every Monday. Contact Morris 073-870-4486 or Pieter 082-094-0959 or (043)722-4033.
- Alcoholics Anonymous Kayser’s Beach Group meets at the Chapel Hall at 7.30pm. Contact 082-714-9400.
- If you are living with someone who is drinking, and this is affecting you, there is help available at the Al Anon Family Group Meeting at the Cambridge Methodist Church Hebbes Street every Tuesday at 7.30pm. Contact Elsie (043)721-0483 or 078-628-6311.
- Alcoholics Anonymous Cambridge Group meets at the Methodist Church, Hebbes Street, Cambridge, at 7.30pm. Contact Jumbo on (043)741-3685.
- The pipe band meet at 6.30pm at Hudson Park High School music block. Tuition given. For bagpipes: Robert on 082-897-8571 and drumming: Stephen on 082-560-0247.
- The EL Bridge Club welcomes all who wish to play “duplicate bridge”. Provision has been made for new players to begin at a starter table. Come along with a partner on any Tuesday and/or Saturday at 1.15pm to the Berea Gardens Dining Hall. For more information, contact Jean on (043)735-4893, Karen 082-856-0400 or Kathie 083-651-0418.
- Narcotics Anonymous meet every Wednesday and Friday from 7pm-8pm at St Nicholas Church, Pell Street, Beacon Bay. Call For details call 082-796-3699.
- Scottish dancing classes every Tuesday 4 to 5.30pm at Ham’s Club in Selborne. Instruction given to beginners. No experience required, just a love of dancing. For more information, contact Nookie on (043)726-1100.
- The Beacon Bay Bridge Club is looking for players interested in playing social bridge every Tuesday and Friday between 1.30 and 4.30pm. They meet at the Eden Worship Centre at 10 Coad Road, Beacon Bay. For further information contact Olga on 083-650-6653 or (043) 735-1736 or Heather on (043) 748-1465.
- There are times you just need someone to talk to, to laugh and meet new people. Masithethe Counselling Services are hosting a Live, Love, Laugh support group to create a space where people can talk about issues that are affecting them, spread awareness, educate and encourage each other. Masithethe (formerly LifeLine) will provide the space and facilitate the process. This support group is open to all. To be held every third Wednesday of the month at 6pm at the Masithethe Centre at 3 St James Road, Southernwood. For more information, call (043)722-2000 or WhatsApp: 084-091-5410 and Facebook.
- O’Brian Matross will perform live at Legends Showcase from 7pm. Entry is R100 and tickets are available at Lee Gold Music.
- Dance at East London Bowling Club from 8pm with music by Patrick Nass. Spot dances prizes and curry fat cakes on sale. Music will include country , Afrikaans, rock n roll, sokkie and more. Entrance fee is R25. Cash bar. For info call Janita on 060-631-3701.