- The University of the Third Age (U3A) meets at the St Andrews Croquet Club hall in Bunkers Hill on the EL Golf Club at 10am. The talk will be on current affairs. U3A Meet on the second Thursday of each month followed by tea, coffee and biscuits. The cost is R10 per visitor and R5 for members. On the third Thursday of each month, there is a current affairs meeting with a speaker at 10am. Call (043)738-5090.
- The Floradale artists’ Natural Expression exhibition is a celebration of everything to do with natural forms found in the environment. The exhibition forms part of the 80th anniversary celebration of Floradale Nursery.
- Put on your dancing shoes to waltz, two-step and line dance tonight away with live music by Patrick Nass at the East London Bowling Club from 8pm. Entry is R25 per person. Couples welcome. Cash bar open. For more information, call 073-243-2318.
- The East London slot car club hosts racing every Thursday evening from 7pm. Come and see the little miniature slot cars on a 42m track. For more information, contact Hennie on 082-448-3221.
- The Nahoon Estuary Nature Reserve is a must for those who love beautiful places, river views, a mangrove swamp and forest walks. New members of Nahooners, which supports the reserve, are welcome to join and are given a gate key that allows them to visit 24/7. The reserve is off Beaconhurst Drive. Turn at the Dassie Trail sign. For more information, call Celia on (043)735-1833.
- If you are interested in becoming a volunteer at the Gonubie Community Policing Forum, please contact Dewald Knoetze on 082-822-1035 or Fred Minty on 072-515-8646.
- Alcoholics Anonymous Gonubie meet at the Baptist Church in Watsonia Crescent at 7.30pm. Contact Jan on 082-850-6918 or Nick on 072-831-7663.
- Dinner dance at Comrades Club with live music by Quentin from 8.15pm. Eat and drink from 6pm at bargain prices – booking essential. Entry R20. Call 083-255-3468 before 2pm for table bookings.
- Family Fitness Fun Day hosted by the Seaside Family Church and Bayside Church takes place from 6.30am in Gonubie. Enter yourself or your family into one of the fun events taking place, including a 10km, 20km, 40km or 80km cycle, kiddies cycle rides on the Gonubie sports fields, or a 5km fun/walk. Loads of prizes and super goodie bags on offer. For more information, call (043)740-0320 or e-mail email@example.com
- The East London Branch of the Diabetic Support Group meet at the Regent Hotel’s Terrace Room from 2.45pm to 4pm. An awareness talk is presented on the first Saturday of every month (February to November). Free entry.
- Come and enjoy viewing East London’s artistic talent at King’s Mall presented by Gonubie Lions Club in aid of Carel du Toit Centre where deaf children are taught to speak. This exhibition lasts for a whole week.
- The Centenary Tennis Club hosts social tennis every Saturday from 1.30pm. All welcome, so all ages come and join the fun. For more information, contact Maurice on 082-676-9708 or Deon on 082-443-8995.
- The Gonubie Flea Market takes place every Saturday in front of the municipality from 8am to 1pm – weather permitting. All stalls and car boot sales welcome. For more information, contact Glenda on WhatsApp or call 082-714-3390.
- The Lavender Blue Pineapple Walk takes place every Saturday at 6.30am – weather permitting. Meet Yvonne in the Lavender Blue parking lot every Saturday at 6am. You will be taken on a 10km circular walk past farms and along farm roads. Take the usual goodies along and some money for a hearty breakfast afterwards.
- Tea in the Trees have a market on the first and last Sunday of the month from 9am to 2pm. All arts, crafts and home produce welcome. Only R50 to have a stall. For more information, contact Kate 072-611-2367, www.teainthetrees.com or on the Facebook page, teainthetrees.
- The Esplanade Flea Market (in front of Hotel Osner) on every weekend – weather permitting from 8am to 2pm.
- Exercise classes for senior citizens every Monday and Thursday from 8.30 to 9.30am at St John’s Ambulance, St George’s Road. For more information, contact Nookie on (043)726-1100.
- The East London Group of Alcoholics Anonymous – founding group – meets at The Catholic Church Hall in Caxton Street, Quigney at 7.30pm every Monday. Contact Morris 073-870-4486 or Pieter 082-094-0959 or (043)722-4033.
- Alcoholics Anonymous Kayser’s Beach Group meets at the Chapel Hall at 7.30pm. For more information, call 082-714-9400.
- If you are living with someone who is drinking and this is affecting you, there is help available at the Al Anon Family Group Meeting at Cambridge Methodist Church, Hebbes Street, every Tuesday at 7.30pm. Contact Elsie on (043)721-0483 or 078-628-6311.
- Alcoholics Anonymous Cambridge Group meets at the Methodist Church, Hebbes Street, at 7.30pm. Contact Jumbo on (043)741-3685.
- The pipe band meet at 6.30pm at Hudson Park High School music block. Tuition given. For bagpipes, call Robert on 082-897-8571 and drumming, Stephen on 082-560-0247.
- The EL Bridge Club welcomes all who wish to play “duplicate bridge”. Provision has been made for new players to begin at a starter table in order to be guided in the use of bidding boxes. Come along with a partner on any Tuesday and/or Saturday at 1.15pm to the Berea Gardens dining hall. For more information, contact Jean on (043)735-4893, Karen on 082-856-0400 or Kathie on 083-651-0418.
- Narcotics Anonymous meet every Wednesday and Friday from 7pm to 8pm at St Nicholas Church, Pell Street, Beacon Bay. For more information, call 082-796-3699.
- The Beacon Bay Bridge Club is looking for players interested in playing social bridge every Tuesday and Friday between 1.30pm and 4.30pm. They meet at the Eden Worship Centre at 10 Coad Road, Beacon Bay. For more information, contact Olga on 083-650-6653 or (043)735-1736 or Heather on (043)748-1465.