As hundreds of Eastern Cape parents struggle to find a school for their children, residents of Zwelitsha outside King William’s Town have slammed the provincial education department for failing to reopen Nompendulo High School following its closure last year.
According to a letter sent to the Dispatch by the school’s task team chair, Solomzi Ndyebi, the school was closed in January last year due a “combination of many factors such as numbers of pupils, and the school’s performance and management issues”.
He said the department had promised to develop a plan for the redevelopment of the school as a technical high school in January this year.
Ndyebi accused the department of failing to communicate with the community.
“The communication strategy to reach out to the communities was non-existent and infrastructural plans could also not be developed to guide this development.”
He said the department had failed to attend a community meeting last year.
“The department officials did not pitch up for this agreed meeting and there was no apology from the department. This attitude is considered disrespectful, exhibits dishonesty and displays intransigence of the department on their view to unilaterally close all the schools in the townships and villages.”
During a visit to the school on Tuesday, the Dispatch found that some classrooms had been vandalised, the grass remained uncut and school furniture was missing.
But provincial education spokesperson Loyiso Pulumani said the school would be reopened next week.
“The task team overseeing the reorientation of Nompendulo High into a technical high school has been working flat out throughout last year in preparing the groundwork for the reopening of the school.”
Read more of the story on TimesLIVE
BY: BHONGO JACOB