BCM has found itself having to deal with a service delivery backlog after after a series of protests led to the interruption of services in the metro.
As previously reported by the Daily Dispatch (‘ BCM workers say they’ve waited for Covid risk allowances for months’, February 18), municipal workers downed tools last month due to non-payment of their Covid-19 risk allowances since June last year.
Services that were disrupted during the strike include the collection of refuse, street sweeping, litter pickup and grass cutting.
“BCM is continuing with mopping up operations following some of the damages to its infrastructure,” said BCM spokesperson Samkelo Ngwenya.
The most affected areas were Qonce (formally King William’s Town) and Mdantsane.
The illegal industrial actions imposed by some of the municipal employees were effectively dismissed with a court order, enforced by the safety and security cluster.
Eastern Cape Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (Cogta) MEC Xolile Nqatha also expressed concerns over the protest.
“I condemn the destruction of public property and closure of healthcare facilities. It is my firm view that no demand can justify assault on the rights of other citizens, to the contrary it can only serve to de-legitimise even genuine demands. I wish to call upon all parties to follow due process and respect the rule of law,” Nqatha said.
The MEC called on law enforcement agencies to deal with anyone breaking the Covid-19 regulations.
“All these protests are not in compliance with the regulations of the Disaster Management Act, and we call upon all the organisers to refrain from staging these protests as they are breaching Covid-19 regulations,” he said.