Today (Thursday, 26 January)
● The East London slot car club reopens today and will have racing every Thursday evening from 7pm. Come and see the little miniature slot cars on a new repainted 42-m track. All welcome. For further information contact. Hennie on 082-448-3221.
● A warm welcome is extended to all people over the age of 21, who love dancing. Please join the EL Dance Club tonight and every Thursday night at the EL Bowling Club – entrance is between the new Jumbo complex and the big sports fields. Live music by top entertainers.
Bring a friend too.
● The Nahoon Estuary Nature Reserve is a must for those who love beautiful places, river views, a mangrove swamp and forest walks. Bird enthusiasts will enjoy sitting quietly in the two bird hides watching blue duikers and birds at the birdbaths and eating seed. New members of Nahooners, which supports the reserve, are welcome to join and are given a gate key that allows them to visit 24/7. The reserve is off Beaconhurst Drive. Turn at the Dassie Trail sign. For enquiries phone Celia on (043)735-1833.
● The Beacon Bay Bridge Club is looking for players interested in playing social bridge every Tuesday and Friday between 1.30 and 4.30pm. They meet at the Eden Worship Centre at 10 Coad Road, Beacon Bay. For further information contact Olga on 083-650-6653 or (043)735-1736 or Heather on (043) 748-1465.
● Go and join the Scottish Country Dance Club. No experience required, just a love for dancing. They meet every Tuesday from 4pm to 5.30pm in the Ham’s Club. Free lessons given. R10 per person per session. For queries call Nookie Middleton 084-693-2836 or Merrylees Burgess (043)721-0375.
● If you are interested in becoming a volunteer at the Gonubie Community Policing Forum, please contact Dewald Knoetze on 082-822-1035 or Fred Minty on 072-515-8646.
● Alcoholics Anonymous Gonubie meet at the Baptist Church in Watsonia Crescent at 7.30pm. Contact Jan on 082-850-6918 or Nick on 072-831-7663.
● U3A (University of the Third Age) will have advocate Paul Hoffman from Cape Town at the guest speaker at St Andrews Croquet Club at 9.30am. The talk will be on corruption and everyone is welcome. Entry is R10 and includes tea. For more information, contact Sue Smith (043) 735-2780.
● Come party and dance to great music with Quentin at Comrades Club tonight from 8.15pm till late. Kitchen and bar open from 6pm. Entry is only R10. Please phone 083-255-3468 before 2pm on a Friday for bookings.
● The Bunkers Market will be held at Philip Kats ground in Bunkers Hill from 10am to 3pm. Plenty of quality stalls and food. On site parking available. For information email: firstname.lastname@example.org
● Come and support local small businesses every Saturday morning at DK Quality Lifestyle’s flea market at 57 Pearce Street Berea. Stalls selling clothes, food and various goodies, lots of fun and prizes for the whole family. Free to display your stall. For enquiries phone 083-459-7905.
● Yellowwood Forest in Morgans Bay will have their Forest Fare Farmers Market, where you can find a selection of local farm fresh veggies, meat, cakes, eats, pancakes, much loved second hand treasures, books, nuts, flowers, clothing and other interesting goodies. The market happens every Saturday morning from 10am, so come and do your weekly grocery shopping at the forest. The focus is on shopping local and reducing your carbon footprint. So bring your wares; there is no charge for trading and bartering is encouraged. Go and browse, sell, shop or swop. For more info contact: (043)841-1598.
● The Lavender Blue Pineapple Walk takes place every Saturday morning at 6.30am (weather permitting). Meet Yvonne in the Lavender Blue parking every Saturday at 6am for a lovely walk and enjoy breakfast afterwards. You will be taken on a 10km circular walk past farms and along farm roads. Take the usual goodies with and some money for a hearty breakfast afterwards. The walk is about 2 hours and a bit.
● The annual Border Monster Competition – Buffalo River Monster Fishing Competition will be held. Boats launch any time from 6am. Bank angling. Briefing at East London Ski Boat Club at 3pm on Saturday. Bring the whole family. All welcome. For more info contact Tony Moodley on 081-354-9391.
● Cambridge Sports Club Flea market is on from 9am to 4pm. Come and enjoy a family fun day with art and craft ,food stalls, jumping castle ,paintball target shooting ,cash bar and lots more. For stall bookings and info call Gavin 084-202-7794 or Arie 063-299-8855.
● Tea in the Trees have a market on the first and last Sunday of the month from 9am to 2pm. all arts, crafts and home produce welcome. only r50 to have a stall, all welcome to set up from 7.30 onwards. any enquiries contact Kate 072-611-2367, www.teainthetrees.com or on the Facebook teainthetrees
● The Flea Market Esplanade (in front of Osners Hotel) now on every weekend weather permitting from 8am to 2pm. All new stalls welcome.
● The East London Group of Alcoholics Anonymous, founding group, meets at The Catholic Church Hall in Caxton Street, Quigney at 7.30pm every Monday. Contact Morris 073-870-4486 or Pieter 082-094-0959 or (043)722-4033.
● Alcoholics Anonymous Kayser’s Beach Group meets at the Chapel Hall at 7.30pm. Contact 082-714-9400.
● If you are living with someone who is drinking, and this is affecting you, or perhaps you are experiencing problems from having lived with an alcoholic, relative or friend, there is help available for you at the Al Anon Family Group Meeting held at Cambridge Methodist Church Hebbes Street every Tuesday at 7.30 pm. Contact Elsie (043)721-0483 or 078-628-6311.
● Alcoholics Anonymous Cambridge Group meets at the Methodist Church, Hebbes Street, Cambridge, at 7.30pm. Contact Jumbo on (043)741-3685.
● The pipe band meet at 6.30 at the Abbottsford Christian School. Tuition given. For bagpipes call Robert on 082-897-8571 and drumming: Stephen 076-308-0912.
● The EL Bridge Club welcomes all who wish to play ‘Duplicate Bridge’. Provision has been made for new players to begin at a “starter table” in order to be guided in the use of bidding boxes. Come along with a partner on any Tuesday and/or Saturday at 1.15pm to the Berea Gardens Dining Hall. Call Jean (043)735-4893, Karen 082-856-0400 or Kathie 083-651-0418 for info.
● Narcotics Anonymous meet every Wednesday and Friday from 7pm-8pm at St Nicholas Church, Pell Street, Beacon Bay. Call For details call 082-796-3699.
● Calling all woman golfers – The Golden Oldies Golf Club at Python Park Caddy Shack for golfers older than 50 years of age are looking for women to join the vibrant club. They play various formats, with prizes being awarded every week. The fun starts every Wednesday at 8am for 8.30am. For further information contact Eric Dellaquerra on 082-332-6271 or Mike Goss 083-555-3275.
● Yellowwood Forest in Morgans Bay will have their February Market from 9am to 2pm. Always a wonderful variety of stalls to browse through in a fun family venue, so come out and join us for a day of shopping, eating, socialising and relaxing in our unique forest environment. There is a quirky playground for the children to enjoy, forest walks, a small touch farm, a wood-fired pizza oven, licensed bar and meals and banting options served in our open air Tree Pot Tea garden. Perfect for the whole family, so come along and bring your friends. For more information or to book a stall call (043)841-1 598/084 5822 601 or e-mail email@example.com
● Diabetes Support Group meets at the Regent Hotel on the Esplanade from 3pm to 4pm. All welcome. Refreshments and tea/coffee will be served.