- Are you ready to join our motivated group? The University of the Third Age (U3A) caters to people of a so called “mature age”, from about 50 to 90, who are still eager for more knowledge and a zest for listening to cultural and motivational talks. U3A Meet on the second Thursday of each month at 9.30am. The cost is R10 per visitor and R5 for members. This is for the monthly general meeting, after which there is a speaker, followed by tea/coffee and biscuits. On the third Thursday of each month, there is a current affairs meeting at 10am, with a speaker. Both meetings are held at the St Andrews Croquet Club hall in Bunkers Hill. Do come along and swell the numbers. Call (043) 738-5090.
- The East London Branch of the Diabetic Support Group meet at the Regent Hotel’s Terrace Room from 2.45pm to 4pm for an awareness talk on the first Saturday of every month (February to November). No entry fee is required and we encourage all to attend. Please join us for refreshments after the talk. For more enquiries call Vrooda Makhan on 083-708-0489.
- Masithethe Counselling Services (formerly LifeLine) will be hosting a “Rape and Domestic Violence” support group on the first Thursday of the month at 11am. It takes place at the centre at 3 St James Road, Southernwood. For info call (043) 722-2000 or 084-091-5410 (WhatsApp). One in three women are victims of rape and domestic violence.
- Solo Club invites all singles to come mingle and dance the night away at the East London Bowling Club from 8pm. Entry is R25 per person. Cash bar open. For more information call 073- 243- 2318. Couples welcome.
- The East London slot car club will have racing every Thursday evening from 7pm. Come and see the little miniature slot cars on a new repainted 42m track. For further information contact Hennie on 082-448-3221.
- The Nahoon Estuary Nature Reserve is a must for those who love beautiful places, river views, a mangrove swamp and forest walks. Bird enthusiasts will enjoy sitting quietly in the two bird hides watching blue duikers and birds at the birdbaths and eating seed. New members of Nahooners, which supports the reserve, are welcome to join and are given a gate key that allows them to visit 24/7. The reserve is off Beaconhurst Drive. Turn at the Dassie Trail sign. For enquiries phone Celia on (043)735-1833.
- If you are interested in becoming a volunteer at the Gonubie Community Policing Forum, please contact Dewald Knoetze on 082-822-1035 or Fred Minty on 072-515-8646.
- Alcoholics Anonymous Gonubie meet at the Baptist Church in Watsonia Crescent at 7.30pm. Contact Jan on 082-850-6918 or Nick on 072-831-7663.
- Dinner dance tonight at Comrades Club, with live music by Quentin from 8.15pm. Eat and drink from 6pm at bargain prices- booking essential. Entry R20. Call 083-255-3468 before 2pm for table bookings.
Friday to Saturday
- CCSA Caravan Rally at Rendezvous, East Coast resorts. Visitors and tenters are welcome. For more info please contact Sharonne on 083-318-3853 or e-mail her on: email@example.com
- Country Dance with live music by Patrick Nass from 8pm till late at the East London Bowling Club. Entry is R25.Music will include country, rock n roll, Afrikaans, line dancing and sokkie. Curry and rice on sale and cash bar open. There are dance prizes to be won and a cash bar. For booking call Janita on 060-631-3701.
- Old Selbornians will be having their annual Beerfest and this year East London SPCA is the charity chosen to benefit from the proceeds. Please support the SPCA and get your tickets directly from reception now. We don’t want you to miss out on all the fun, R120 gets you in the door and a complimentary Beerfest Hat will be given to the first 1000 entrants. Come and enjoy the festivities, lots of good beer, German food, and great music – as provided by the imported Oompah Band “Atterseer Musikanten” all the way from Munich.
- The Berea Baptist Church are having a jumble sale from 8am at 11 Greenwood Street, Berea. Find your treasure here.
- The East London Branch of the Diabetic Support Group meet at the Regent Hotel’s Terrace Room from 2.45pm to 4pm for an awareness talk. Guest speaker Dhaneshnee Pillay will talk on eye health in diabetes from an optometric perspective, cranial sacral therapy and its benefits especially in diabetic management and mindfulness in diabetes. No entry fee is required and we encourage all to attend. Please join us for refreshments after the talk. For enquiries call Vrooda Makhan on 083-708-0489.
- The Centenary Tennis Club hosts social tennis every Saturday from 1.30pm. All welcome, so all ages come and join the fun. For more info call Maurice 082-676-9708 or Deon 082-443-8995.
- The Gonubie Saturday flea market takes place in front of the municipality from 8am to 1pm – weather permitting. All stalls and car boot sales welcome. For enquiries please contact Glenda on WhatsApp or call 082-714-3390.
- The Lavender Blue Pineapple Walk takes place every Saturday morning at 6.30am (weather permitting). Meet Yvonne in the Lavender Blue parking lot every Saturday at 6am for a lovely walk and enjoy breakfast afterwards. You will be taken on a 10km circular walk past farms and along farm roads. Take the usual goodies along.
- Tea in the Trees have a market on the first and last Sunday of the month from 9am to 2pm. all arts, crafts and home produce welcome. Only R50 to have a stall, all welcome to set up from 7.30 onwards. Any enquiries contact Kate 072-611-2367, www.teainthetrees.com or on the Facebook teainthetrees.
- The Esplanade Flea Market (in front of Osner Hotel) now on every weekend weather permitting from 8am to 2pm. All new stalls welcome.
- Exercise classes for senior citizens every Monday and Thursday from 8.30 to 9.30am at St John’s Ambulance, St George’s Road. For information call Nookie (043) 726-1100.
- The East London Group of Alcoholics Anonymous, founding group, meets at The Catholic Church Hall in Caxton Street, Quigney at 7.30pm every Monday. Contact Morris 073-870-4486 or Pieter 082-094-0959 or (043) 722-4033.
- Alcoholics Anonymous Kayser’s Beach Group meets at the Chapel Hall at 7.30pm. Contact 082-714-9400.
- If you are living with someone who is drinking, and this is affecting you, or perhaps you are experiencing problems from having lived with an alcoholic, relative or friend, there is help available for you at the Al Anon Family Group Meeting held at Cambridge Methodist Church Hebbes Street every Tuesday at 7.30pm. Contact Elsie (043)721-0483 or 078- 628- 6311.
- Alcoholics Anonymous Cambridge Group meets at the Methodist Church, Hebbes Street, Cambridge, at 7.30pm. Contact Jumbo on (043)741-3685.
- The pipe band meet at 6.30 at Hudson Park High School music block. Tuition given.
For bagpipes call Robert on 082-897-8571 and drumming: Stephen on 082-560-0247.
- The EL Bridge Club welcomes all who wish to play “Duplicate Bridge”. Provision has been made for new players to begin at a “starter table” in order to be guided in the use of bidding boxes. Come along with a partner on any Tuesday and/or Saturday at 1.15pm to the Berea Gardens Dining Hall. Call Jean (043) 735-4893, Karen 082-856-0400 or Kathie 083-651-0418 for info.
- Narcotics Anonymous meet every Wednesday and Friday from 7pm-8pm at St Nicholas Church, Pell Street, Beacon Bay. Call For details call 082-796-3699.
- Scottish dancing classes every Tuesday 4 to 5.30pm at Ham’s Club in Selborne. Instruction given to beginners. No experience required, just a love of dancing. All very welcome. Information: Nookie (043) 726-1100.
- The Beacon Bay Bridge Club is looking for players interested in playing social bridge every Tuesday and Friday between 1.30 and 4.30pm. They meet at the Eden Worship Centre at 10 Coad Road, Beacon Bay. For further information contact Olga on 083-650-6653 or (043) 735-1736 or Heather on (043) 748-1465.
- There are times you just need someone to talk to, to laugh and meet new people. Masithethe Counselling Services are hosting a Live, Love, Laugh Support Group to create a space where people can meet, be themselves and talk about issues that are affecting them, spread awareness, educate and encourage each other. Masithethe (formerly LifeLine) will provide the space and facilitate the process. This support group is open to all. To be held every third Wednesday of the month at 6pm at the Masithethe Centre at3 St James Road, Southernwood. For more info call 043-722-2000 or WhatsApp: 084-091-5410 and Facebook.