- Are you ready to join our motivated group? The University of the Third Age (U3A) caters to people of a so-called “mature age”, from about 50 to 90, who are still eager for more knowledge and a zest for listening to cultural and motivational talks. U3A meet on the second Thursday of each month at 9.30am. The cost is R10 per visitor and R5 for members. Call (043) 738-5090.
- Masithethe Counselling Services (formerly LifeLine) will be hosting a “Rape and Domestic Violence” support group on the first Thursday of the month at 11am. It takes place at the centre at 3 St James Road, Southernwood. For info call (043) 722-2000 or 084-091-5410 (WhatsApp). One in three women are victims of rape and domestic violence. Are you one of them?
- Come dance tonight away with live music by Ivan’s Band at the East London Bowling Club from 8pm. Entry is R25 per person. Cash bar open. For more information call 073-243-2318. Couples welcome.
- The Nahoon Estuary Nature Reserve is a must for those who love beautiful places, river views, a mangrove swamp and forest walks. Bird enthusiasts will enjoy sitting quietly in the two bird hides. New members of Nahooners, which supports the reserve, are welcome to join and are given a gate key that allows them to visit 24/7. The reserve is off Beaconhurst Drive. Turn at the Dassie Trail sign. For enquiries phone Celia on (043)735-1833.
- Jonathan, Beginners Luck and Sevive performs during Legendary Fridays at Legends Showcase at 42 Stewart Drive, Berea today. The pub opens at 4.30pm.
- Come party tonight away on EL’s best dance floor at Comrades Club, with live music by Quentin from 8.15pm. Eat and drink from 6pm at bargain prices- booking essential. Entry R20. Call 083-255-3468 before 2pm for table bookings.
- Alphendale High School presents a bingo game at 2pm at the school hall in Buffalo Flats Extension. The cost is R80 per ticket with great prizes to be won. Refreshments will be on sale.
- St Andrews Lutheran Church in East London is holding its annual Christmas Market/Weihnachts-markt today from 2.30 pm in the church hall at 50 Park Avenue. Traditional German biscuits, Stollen, Lebkucken (gingerbread) and a variety of delightful handcrafted Christmas decorations will be on sale as well. Delicious German cakes will be served in the tea garden. For more info contact Bettina on 083-295-0506.
- The Floradale Fine Art offers a new exhibition, titled Sizzling Summer and as always, work of the highest quality, creativity and innovation will be on display. The exhibit will open on Saturday, December 2 at 11am to 3pm. Please join us for a glass of joy, good company and a new show.
- Berea Gardens present their Cracker Christmas fete at the centre in Jarvis Road from 8.30am. Tasty Breakfasts, gifts, white elephant, cakes, sewing, pancakes, takeaways, toys, clothing, books, tea and cake, knitting, fabulous raffle prizes etc. will be available. Bargains galore and fun for the whole family. Please come early, stock sells out very fast!
- The Centenary Tennis Club hosts social tennis every Saturday from 1.30pm. All welcome, so all ages come and join the fun. For more info call Maurice 082-676-9708 or Deon 082-443-8995.
- The Gonubie Saturday flea market takes place every Saturday morning in front of the municipality from 8am to 1pm – weather permitting. All stalls and car boot sales welcome. For enquiries please contact Glenda on WhatsApp or call 082-714-3390.
- From 10am until about 1pm, weather permitting, there will be miniature train rides for the whole family. Come to the Gonubie Farmers Hall Showgrounds and bring a picnic basket. Your family can enjoy free rides on the miniature train. For further Information, contact Clive on 082-355-5445.
- Tea in the Trees have a market on the first and last Sunday of the month from 9am to 2pm. all arts, crafts and home produce welcome. Only R50 to have a stall, all welcome to set up from 7.30 onwards. Any enquiries contact Kate 072-611-2367, www.teainthetrees.com or on the Facebook teainthetrees.
- The Esplanade Flea Market (in front of Osner Hotel) now on every weekend weather permitting from 8am to 2pm. All new stalls welcome.
- Exercise classes for senior citizens every Monday and Thursday from 8.30 to 9.30am at St John’s Ambulance, St George’s Road. For information call Nookie (043) 726-1100.
- The East London Group of Alcoholics Anonymous, founding group, meets at The Catholic Church Hall in Caxton Street, Quigney at 7.30pm every Monday. Contact Morris 073-870-4486 or Pieter 082-094-0959 or (043) 722-4033.
- Alcoholics Anonymous Kayser’s Beach Group meets at the Chapel Hall at 7.30pm. Contact 082-714-9400.
- If you are living with someone who is drinking, and this is affecting you, or perhaps you are experiencing problems from having lived with an alcoholic, relative or friend, there is help available for you at the Al Anon Family Group Meeting held at Cambridge Methodist Church Hebbes Street every Tuesday at 7.30 pm. Contact Elsie (043)721-0483 or 078- 628- 6311.
- Alcoholics Anonymous Cambridge Group meets at the Methodist Church, Hebbes Street, Cambridge, at 7.30pm. Contact Jumbo on (043)741-3685.
- The pipe band meet at 6.30 at Hudson Park High School music block. Tuition given. For bagpipes call Robert on 082-897-8571 and drumming: Stephen on 082-560-0247.
- Narcotics Anonymous meet every Wednesday and Friday from 7pm-8pm at St Nicholas Church, Pell Street, Beacon Bay. Call For details call 082-796-3699.
- Scottish dancing classes every Tuesday 4 to 5.30pm at Ham’s Club in Selborne. Instruction given to beginners. No experience required, just a love of dancing. All very welcome. Information: Nookie (043) 726-1100.