NICOLE Windell’s Steps of Style Dance Studio performed well in the South African Championships of Performing Arts last week and many dancers were chosen to perform at the nationals in Los Angeles in July.
Winning a pile of medals at the prestigious competition, the team showed off their skills in various dance styles including contemporary, pantsula, Spanish, jazz and hip hop.
The junior tap group, senior contemporary trio, senior ethnic African trio and junior ethnic Spanish trio were among the eight dance items from Steps of Style Dance Studio that received over 90% from the judges and were chosen to perform at the nationals in Los Angeles in July as part of the South African team.
“The long days and hard work have really paid off. Being majority first time competitors we were blown away by our results!” proud teacher and studio owner Nicole Windell said.
The dancers also had the opportunity to take part in a hip hop workshop with LA Hollywood choreographer and dancer Betty Rox. “Out of the 1 500 dance competitors we were one of the 17 dance items chosen to perform at the showcase event that took place on Saturday last week,” Windell said.
“We cannot wait for what the rest of the year has in store for us!”
The Steps of Style Dance Studio Performing Arts results are:
● Contemporary Junior Group – Bronze
● Senior Contemporary Trio – Silver
● Alude Ratazayo Pantsula Solo – Bronze
● Junior Duet Ethnic African – Bronze
● Junior Trio Ethnic Spanish – Silver
● Large Group Ethnic Pantsula – Gold
● Senior Ethnic African Trio – Silver
● Lauren Fleming Hip Hop Solo – Silver
● Senior Hip Hop Group – Bronze
● Junior Trio Jazz – Bronze
● Junior Jazz Group – Bronze
● Junior Trio Lyrical – Bronze
● Senior Group Lyrical Hip Hop – Bronze
● Large Group Character Group – Silver
● Rebecca Barnard Open Solo – Gold
● Senior Open Hip Hop Group – Gold
● Junior Tap group – Silver