- The University of the Third Age (U3A) caters to people of a so-called “mature age”, from about 50 to 90, who are still eager for more knowledge and a zest for listening to cultural and motivational talks. U3A Meet on the second Thursday of every month at 9.30am. The cost is R10 per visitor and R5 for members. This is for the monthly general meeting, after which there is a speaker, followed by tea/coffee and biscuits. On the third Thursday of every month, there is a current affairs meeting at 10am, with a speaker. Both meetings are held at the St Andrews Croquet Club hall in Bunkers Hill. For more information, call (043)738-5090.
- The East London Branch of the Diabetic Support Group meet at the Regent Hotel’s Terrace Room from 2.45pm to 4pm for an awareness talk on the first Saturday of every month (February to November). No entry fee is required and we encourage all to attend. Please join us for refreshments after the talk. For more information, call Vrooda Makhan on 083-708-0489.
- Masithethe Counselling Services (formerly LifeLine) hosts a rape and domestic violence support group on the first Thursday of every month at 11am. It takes place at the centre at 3 St James Road, Southernwood. For more information, call (043)722-2000 or WhatsApp 084-091-5410. One in three women are victims of rape and domestic violence. Are you one of them?
- Put on your dancing shoes to waltz, two-step and line dance tonight away with live music by Patrick Nass at the East London Bowling Club from 8pm. Entry is R25 per person. Cash bar open. For more information, call 073-243-2318. Couples welcome.
- The East London slot car club hosts racing every Thursday from 7pm. Come and see the little miniature slot cars on a repainted 42m track. For more information, contact Hennie on 082-448-3221.
- The Nahoon Estuary Nature Reserve is a must for those who love beautiful places, river views, a mangrove swamp and forest walks. Bird enthusiasts will enjoy sitting quietly in the two bird hides watching blue duikers and birds at the birdbaths and eating seed. New members of Nahooners, which supports the reserve, are welcome to join and are given a gate key that allows them to visit 24/7. The reserve is off Beaconhurst Drive. Turn at the Dassie Trail sign. For more information, contact Celia on (043)735-1833.
- If you are interested in becoming a volunteer at the Gonubie Community Policing Forum, please contact Dewald Knoetze on 082-822-1035 or Fred Minty on 072-515-8646.
- Alcoholics Anonymous Gonubie meet at the Baptist Church in Watsonia Crescent at 7.30pm. Contact Jan on 082-850-6918 or Nick on 072-831-7663.
- Leon Deere performs during Legendary Fridays at Legends Showcase at 42 Stewart Drive, Berea today. He will be playing songs from the ’60s, ’70s and some latest songs. The pub opens at 4.30pm.
- Dinner dance tonight at Comrades Club, with live music by Quentin from 8.15pm. Eat and drink from 6pm at bargain prices – booking essential. Entry R20. Call 083-255-3468 before 2pm for table bookings.
- Yellowwood Forest Fare in Morgan Bay every Saturday from 9am to 2pm. The perfect place to enjoy a social, catching up with the locals whilst doing your weekly grocery shopping. Lovely farm fresh veggies, eggs, delicious home bakes, plants, herbs, toys, books and much loved second-hand goodies to buy, or just pop in for a meal or a cup of tea in the open-air tea garden while the kiddies enjoy the crazy treehouse and trampoline. Guaranteed fun for the whole family. Yellowwood also have a shaded campsite and cozy cabins and cottages available.
- The Centenary Tennis Club hosts social tennis every Saturday from 1.30pm. All welcome, so all ages come and join the fun. For more information, call Maurice on 082-676-9708 or Deon on 082-443-8995.
- The Gonubie Saturday flea market takes place every Saturday in front of the municipality from 8am to 1pm – weather permitting. All stalls and car boot sales welcome. For more information, contact Glenda on 082-714-3390 (WhatsApp or call).
- WhatsApp or call The Lavender Blue Pineapple Walk takes place every Saturday at 6.30am (weather permitting). Meet Yvonne in the Lavender Blue parking lot every Saturday at 6am for a lovely walk. You will be taken on a 10km circular walk past farms and along farm roads. Take the usual goodies along and some money for a hearty breakfast afterwards.
Saturday and Sunday
- A maternity pop-up shop will be selling Love my Body Creations & Monkeybum Baby & Kids summer ranges at Princes Lodge in Vincent. It will be on from 2 to 5pm on November 24 and 9am to 2pm on November 25. Change room and card facilities available.
- Tea in the Trees have a market on the first and last Sunday of the month from 9am to 2pm. all arts, crafts and home produce welcome. Only R50 to have a stall, all welcome to set up from 7.30 onwards. Any enquiries contact Kate 072-611-2367, www.teainthetrees.com or on the Facebook page “teainthetrees”.
- The Esplanade Flea Market (in front of Osner Hotel) now on every weekend weather permitting from 8am to 2pm. All new stalls welcome.
- Exercise classes for senior citizens every Monday and Thursday from 8.30 to 9.30am at St John’s Ambulance, St George’s Road. For more information, contact Nookie on (043)726-1100.
- The East London Group of Alcoholics Anonymous, founding group, meets at The Catholic Church Hall in Caxton Street, Quigney at 7.30pm every Monday. Contact Morris 073-870-4486 or Pieter 082-094-0959 or (043)722-4033.
- Alcoholics Anonymous Kayser’s Beach Group meets at the Chapel Hall at 7.30pm. Contact 082-714-9400.
- If you are living with someone who is drinking, and this is affecting you, or perhaps you are experiencing problems from having lived with an alcoholic, relative or friend, there is help available for you at the Al Anon Family Group Meeting held at Cambridge Methodist Church Hebbes Street every Tuesday at 7.30 pm. Contact Elsie (043)721-0483 or 078- 628- 6311.
- Alcoholics Anonymous Cambridge Group meets at the Methodist Church, Hebbes Street, Cambridge, at 7.30pm. Contact Jumbo on (043)741-3685.
- The pipe band meet at 6.30 at Hudson Park High School music block. Tuition given. For bagpipes call Robert on 082-897-8571 and drumming: Stephen on 082-560-0247.
- The East London Bridge Club welcomes all who wish to play duplicate bridge. Provision has been made for new players to begin at a “starter table” in order to be guided in the use of bidding boxes. Come along with a partner on any Tuesday and/or Saturday at 1.15pm to the Berea Gardens Dining Hall. For more information, contact Jean (043)735-4893, Karen 082-856-0400 or Kathie 083-651-0418.
- Narcotics Anonymous meet every Wednesday and Friday from 7pm-8pm at St Nicholas Church, Pell Street, Beacon Bay. For more information, call 082-796-3699.
- Scottish dancing classes every Tuesday 4 to 5.30pm at Ham’s Club in Selborne. Instruction given to beginners. No experience required, just a love of dancing. All very welcome. For more information, contact Nookie on (043)726-1100.
- The Beacon Bay Bridge Club is looking for players interested in playing social bridge every Tuesday and Friday between 1.30 and 4.30pm. They meet at the Eden Worship Centre at 10 Coad Road, Beacon Bay. For more information, contact Olga on 083-650-6653 or (043)735-1736 or Heather on (043)748-1465.
- There are times you just need someone to talk to, to laugh and meet new people. Masithethe Counselling Services are hosting a Live, Love, Laugh support group to create a space where people can meet and talk about issues that are affecting them, spread awareness and encourage each other. Masithethe (formerly LifeLine) provides the space and facilitate the process. This support group is open to all. To be held every third Wednesday of the month at 6pm at the Masithethe Centre at 3 St James Road, Southernwood. For more information, call (043)722-2000 or WhatsApp: 084-091-5410 and Facebook.
- The Floradale Fine Art offers a new exhibition, titled Sizzling Summer and as always, work of the highest quality, creativity and innovation will be on display. The exhibit will open on Saturday December 2 at 11am to 3pm. Please join us for a glass of joy, good company and a new show.
- Berea Gardens presents their Cracker Christmas Fete at the centre in Jarvis Road from 8.30am. There will plenty on offer, including tasty breakfasts, gifts, white elephant, cakes, sewing, pancakes, delicious takeaways, toys, clothing, books, tea and cake, knitting and fabulous raffle prizes. Bargains galore and fun for the whole family. Please come early, stock sells out very fast!