In light of the relaxation of level 3 lockdown restrictions, Netball SA has announced that netball activities would resume effective Monday February 8.
As previously reported by the GO! & Express, Netball SA had originally suspended all activities in order to protect players and staff from Covid-19.
However, they have since revised their position after a careful review of recent events.
“The decision to resume netball activities was not an easy one, because we are still amid a pandemic and we needed to be very careful on how we will do things going forward,” said Netball SA president Cecilia Molokwane.
“This was a balancing act because key to our list of priorities is ensuring that we preserve the lives of all our stakeholders while we play the sport we love.”
The first event on the revived calendar will be the 2021 SPAR Challenge, which will take place in Cape Town from March 24 to 31.
Teams taking part will be the SPAR Proteas, the SA President’s XII, the SPAR Baby Proteas (u/21) and Uganda’s She Crains. Namibia is yet to confirm if they will be sending a team.
Cape Town mayoral committee member for safety and security JP Smith said the city was proud to partner with Netball SA.
“As the home of Netball for the next three years leading up to the 2023 Netball World Cup, the Mother City will again showcase to the global stage that it can host major events in a safe environment despite the pandemic.
“We are looking forward to welcoming the teams to our city and for them to experience the beauty of the Mother City,” he said.
The federation has also called on local teams that wish to resume training and host coaching clinics to submit their risk mitigation plans to Netball SA for approval.